Monday, December 28, 2009

Labor Day Progress & Other Fun Bits


As you may recall from my last post, I set aside Labor Day weekend to challenge myself to do half the walk. That would be a full 30 miles in 3 Days!

Well, I made 20 of it. By the time Monday rolled around I could tell my hips and feet needed a rest. So I am a bit less than half-way prepared. But I do have faith that in the next 9 weeks I will be see the progress I need.

I realized that when I started this training back in mid May - I was surprised that I could walk 3 miles in one session. And when I did walk those miles - WOW I was sore and my legs just ached for several days.

Now I am here saying, 'Oh I walked 20 miles this weekend and did not even get a blister.' Wow.

Driving to work last week I heard Madonna was doing some 100 mile Iron Man type challenge in the desert - and she is 50. I think our bodies are much more capable than we give them credit for in general.

Back to this weekend. So I spent 4.5 hours Sunday on the treadmill at the gym walking and watching Trauma Life in the ER (4 of them). Thank god I LOVE that show as the time seemed to have gone by pretty fast.

I burned 800 calories and did stop to refuel mid way through - but still by the time I got home I was ravenous and going into a hypoglycemic crazy woman state of temporary insanity. J

Jim drove me around for 30 minutes looking for an open Mexican restaurant that served chicken tortilla soup, while I preached about how backward Pflugerville is how this "Would not be happening if we lived 'in town'". Eventually we found a place on 35.

OH and last night at the gym (doing my 5 mile walk) I spent an hour watching a show about a woman who was pregnant with quintuplets and right when they started doing the c-section - some lady behind me started squawking about how "Sick and gross" that was and made the Trainer change the channel to America's Got Talent. Oh come on - it a birth, its a miracle! And you can always watch one of the other 20 screens in front of you..Some people!
Anyway, when I was not walking I was busy sending out fund raising emails. I sent a request to everyone on my face book list and everyone on Jim's - which was pretty hard as FB only lets you copy 20 people at a time and I emailed about 400 people. So far those efforts have produced three new generous donations, which I appreciate very very much. I am hoping though that more of those I contacted have just not read their email yet, or are just lazy and plan to donate soon. I also hope they are not getting sick and tired of my emails!
For me physical fund raising is quite difficult. Between working and family duties and working out - I sure wonder how these mega fund raising walkers are doing it.
The plan to set up a treadmill in a public space and walk while raising money is looking like my best bet. But where to set it up? Anyone have any juicy ideas for me?
Only 48% of my goal of 2300 to go!

by Patricia McDonald on Wed, Sep 09, 2009 @ 8:48 AM CT

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Favorites