Monday, December 28, 2009

Ouch...my feet hurt!


Status:
Miles Walked this past weekend - 24
Miles for the Week - 33
Funds Raised $2395.00

BLOG:

Ouch...my feet hurt!

Well I made a personal best and walked 33 miles this past week. And this is despite a very tender and achy spot in my left heal. I have tried not to complain or whine too much in my blogs, figuring I will save all that for Jim ;-)!! But I can't hold it in any longer. OUCCCHHHH My FEEEEEET Huuuuuuurrrrttt!

I have been told its Plantar Fasciitis, aggravated by my really tight hamstrings and calf muscles. I am stretching, stretching and stretching, and icing, icing, icing to hold it at bay. The good news is it really does not bother me during the walk when everything is warmed up and the endorphins are following. It's just kicks in once I get home and take my shoes off. That is when I hobble around the house, whining and asking for people (Jim, Vikki, Sam) to bring me things. Ice, ibuprofen, the remote, more Ice, a refill on my drink etc. You get the picture! My dear sweet supportive family.

As I realize I only have four more weeks to train, it is becoming apparent (mostly due to the messages my body is sending me) that I am nearing my personal best. I am worrying today my friends that my personal best may not be up to 20 miles a day just yet! Currently it's more around 12 a day right now. As my tender feet and burning legs can attest to! I am hoping I can move that up to 15 a day, in the next 4 weeks.

However as Trainer Dan and I have discussed at length, walking the 3-Day is about showing up to make a difference, raising money to support the cause and drawing awareness. IT IS about personal best and going farther than you ever thought possible. It IS NOT about pushing yourself into injury to the point that you can't walk all three days. I want to be on the route each day, representing the cancer survivors in my life each day. They deserve that! I don't want to miss a day because I over did it trying to make 20 on the first.

I feel I am rambling. Point is I am trying to find that sweet balance where I push myself beyond my perceived limits but not beyond what my body can endure. Hmmm...well I have already come this far....can't wait to see where I will be in 4 weeks. Ten a day or 20 a day, I know I will be at my personal best, and that is good enough for me!

As I get rather bored on these long walks, I have taken to snapping photos of random things that catch my interest. I learned to upload to FB on the spot (fun commentary included). You can check out my walk photos on my FB album: "Training Walk Photos A Walkumentary". I often post pics with the question "Where am I?" I encourage my fellow Austinites to try to guess where I am.

OH - Also please send me the name of the person you would like me to honor on my walk. Their name will go on a banner I plan to wear!

Once again, Thanks for Your Support and WALK ON!
Patricia

by Patricia McDonald on Mon, Oct 05, 2009 @ 10:30 AM CT

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Favorites