Monday, December 28, 2009

My Hot and Sweaty Date with Jillian!


Did my title get your attention???
Yes I confess, every Tuesday this married almost 40-year old woman has a very hot and sweaty date and it's not with my husband. "What?" you ask, and "Poor Jim" you whisper.

Yep, that's right The Biggest Loser, and my favorite trainer, Jillian are back on NBC on Tuesday's nights--and what better place to watch my beloveds than the same gym that sponsors the show - 24 Hour Fitness.

If you have not seen it, two awesome trainers, (one of them being Jillian) take a dozen or so obese people and whip them into shape, educate them about food, and work with them on the life habits that have sabotaged their weight goals their entire life. Most importantly the show addresses the emotions and "scripts" we use to set imaginary limits, provide excuses and prevent ourselves from moving out of our comfort zone.

We all have this comfort zone and we all have a personal script we play. It is the audio loop in our heads about why we are the way we are, and why we can't, won't, or could never be able to change or achieve various things in our lives. This show reminds me that 90% of that redundant audio loop is NOTHING but good old-fashioned BS.

And this is why the show is such a motivator to me. This and the HUGE fact, no pun intended, that I grew up with a severely obese, 600 pound, father. I understand personally how obesity affects the lives of the people on this show - they don't just want to be thin, they want to stay alive for their families, they want to find the key to unlock the door of the physical prison they inhabit - one that follows them wherever they go and limits and alters their experiences as human beings.

I also know that it's not as simple as just stopping eating and starting exercise. That is a big part. But it's about recognizing that until they change their mental script and physical behaviors, they themselves continue to reinforce the walls that confine them. They must recognize the personal and spiritual pain these walls are made of and it's heavy and deep work.

Thus the trainers and the competitors are my heroes and huge motivators for me. Shot in a 24 Hour Fitness gym, the show is a bit surreal to watch. My idol, Jillian the passionate, at times, bitchy trainer struts around the machines barking orders and it's easy to imagine her here in the gym with me.

As my feet race under the pace of the spinning belt, Jillian shouts "How bad do you want this?" and "Take your "bleep"ing hands off the "bleep"ing treadmill! Have you ever seen this "bleep"ing show." I jump and quickly bring my hands back to my waist, as though she can see me. It seems totally possible that Jillian knows she is speaking to every person on every treadmill in every 24 Fitness in the US. Fearing her scorn, I set the machine to run the max incline on a tight interval schedule (cause I know that's what Jillian would tell me to do) and speed up my pace.

I push myself --- certain she will pop up in front of me any minute, shove her face into mine and drill into my soul,"How bad do you want this?"

******************************

That was Tuesday. I missed Thursday's walk as it was Sam's birthday dinner and this Saturday I did a 5-miler in the am and an 8-miler (from Pflugerville to 620 and I35) that afternoon - for a total that day of 13 miles. I was supposed to follow with a 10- mile Sunday walk, but chores consumed me. I was on my feet and moving the entire day, and I swear the 10 miles I was missing seemed easier by comparison. By the end of the day I felt extremely exhausted.

I woke up at 3 am on Monday faint, with a head ache, sweating, nauseated, cold and achy -- I thought I was getting the flu, - but Jim believed it to be dehydration and exhaustion. I took Monday off and did nothing but drink fluids and eat and sleep. I am feeling a bit better today, but I am still not convinced I am not fighting the flu.

Thanks again for everyone's support and for taking time to read the blog. I am just $500 or so shy from my goal - so please help me spread the word.

So far your contributions have amounted to $1825, you have brought me to 79% of my goal. My total walked miles for last week = 20. This week I hope to do better ;-)

It's Tuesday night again - you know where I will be - I have a date with Jillian at 24 Hour Fitness.

Walk On - Patricia

Please share my blog and donation page with anyone you know who might support our cause.They Can Donate Here!

by Patricia McDonald on Tue, Sep 22, 2009 @ 9:23 AM CT

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Favorites